Like with a lot of schools in the UK, I travelled to the Palace of Versailles to see the sights, including the Hall of Mirrors and the surrounding beautiful countryside. Google Arts & Culture has launched the VR experience of the location, which is the largest of its kind. This is similar to their previous work.
According to Google, Versailles: The Palace is Yours is a new VR experience based on the largest photogrammetry capture done on location. It covers over 21 rooms and 36,000sqm of internal surfaces, and comprises of 18 virtual exhibits featuring themes in the palace, such as gastronomy.
Other fun stats from the shoot:
- 130,000 pictures taken (camera, drone)
- 4 TB of data collected and over 15 billions of pixels textured
- 7,000 m2 of indoor total surface reconstructed (floor). 36,000 m2 if we include floor, walls and ceilings
- 500,000 m2 of outdoor (gardens) total surface reconstructed.
- 24 rooms captured
- 150+ precious objects
- Compatible with HTC Vive / Oculus Rift
- Exclusive audio content in FR / EN /CN
There is a lot of great content in relation to this, which I have distilled below. Enjoy!
Editor, Virtual Perceptions
Subscribe to Virtual Perceptions
Keep up to date with the trends and topics of the immersive reality industry, from gaming to healthcare and beyond.